16.5.13

Lettuce turn it up

I had the day off yesterday & hadn't seen my friends in a couple days, so I thought why not have a dinner party. Since most of my friends are guys, I had to think of a cheap way to make a delicious meal that's jam packed with flavour & protein; all while working on a budget (we are students). Working on a budget is sometimes difficult when you're feeding a bunch of guys who don't seem to ever get full. No, seriously. I mean they really never get full. They all play on the varsity football team here at Ottawa U, and when I feed them I feel like I am feeding an army of men who haven't had a proper meal in months. Since I feed them frequently, I know they do eat proper & they do eat often. I immediately started racking my brain for cheap alternatives to a healthy dinner. It had to be cheap. There were 8 of us all together including myself and the average person sitting at the table weighed over 220 pounds. (I don't even weigh close to 200 pounds just so that's clear). It had to be packed full of nutrients, considering they are in training mode for the upcoming season. It had to have little to no carbs; complex carbs over simple carbs if any, and of course it had to taste good. Not just good. It had to taste great. I asked the guys what they felt like eating & the consensus was something they couldn't cook themselves. Well, I immediately crossed pasta off of my Italian mind. I started to brainstorm for cheap, protein packed food items. "BEANS & MEAT, BEANS & MEAT, BEANS & MEAT", kept running through my mind. I was trying to silence the noise though. I mean, who in their right mind wants to serve 7 guys weighing over 200 pounds beans. NOT ME, thats for sure. Protein was the biggest concern. How will I get enough protein on the table in a fun & creative way. My mind thought tacos; but I don't want carbs. Okay lettuce wraps it is.

THE MENU:
Jamaican style chicken & beef lettuce wraps with all the fixing's & coleslaw.
I tried to utilize as many of the same ingredients as I could in order to save pennies, but also maintain a theme.

First I started by marinating my meats. I used the same marinade for both meats. I never venture to far from this marinade when it comes to the barbecue because its simple, easy, jam packed with flavour and these ingredients are usually kickin' in my fridge.

8 chicken breasts

just under 1lb of flank steak
(I've never cooked with flank steak before, but definitely will from now on).

For the marinade I used: 
In the same bowl combine - 
1 & 1/2 cups of finely chopped cilantro
2 large, finely chopped jalapenos
2 large, finely grated garlic cloves
2 juiced lime
1 bunch of green onion
4 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp honey
2 tbsp ginger root
3 tbsp ground all spice
2 tbsp salt, pepper, thyme
1 tbsp cinnamon & nutmeg

** if you don't have all of these ingredients play with some flavours; you don't have to replicate this marinade. Sometimes when I don't have key ingredients I like to add a splash of balsamic for flavour. Any other spices you have on hand or prefer better will work; these are just some of our every day staples. Also if you are not cooking for 7 beastly men, simply cut this marinade recipe & all others to follow in half. 

I put my meats in 2 separate bowls and poured half the marinade mixture over each of my meats. I started working it into the chicken, making sure to mix it well and get every piece bathing in the juices. Next, I washed my hands thoroughly and moved onto the steak. I left the flank steak as 1 big piece, and rubbed it down with all of the combined juices. I covered both bowls and set aside in the fridge while I prepared the rest of my glorious feast. 

Next ...

For the coleslaw I used: 

1 half head of finely chopped white cabbage (cabbage is great because its cheap & filling)
3 shredded carrots
1 finely chopped red onion
1 finely chopped green pepper
1 finely chopped yellow pepper 
1 cup cilantro
1 finely chopped & deseeded jalapeno

** if some of these vegetables don't work for you substitute in your favourites. 
Combine all ingredients in big salad bowl.

In a separate bowl combine: 

3 tbsp of mayonnaise or miracle whip 
1or 2 juiced lemons
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp yellow mustard
freshly ground sea salt & pepper to taste

Combine dressing and salad together (with hands or tongs) and set aside in fridge. 

For the fixin's: 

All of the following recipes are great dips. We make them as snacks frequently and scoop with some nacho chips or bread. 

Guacamole -----
5 softened, chopped avocado
1 large, finely chopped red onion
2 chopped plum or red vine tomatoes
1 or 2 large, chopped & deseeded jalapenos
1 bunch of finely chopped cilantro
2 grated garlic cloves
freshly ground sea salt & pepper to taste
1 juiced lemon & lime

Combine all ingredients in a bowl & mash well with a potato masher or fork. Set aside in fridge to keep cold. 

Cilantro Hummus ---- 

1 can of chick peas
2 cups of chopped cilantro
1 chopped, deseeded jalapeno
1 juiced lemon
2 tbsp of red wine vinegar
2 tbsp of olive oil 
1 tbsp dried oregano
freshly ground sea salt & pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a blender until well blended. Transfer into bowl & put in fridge to keep cold. 


Beef & Spinach Conqueso Dip ----

1 small package lean ground beef
1 grated garlic clove
2 tbsp olive oil
1 package of taco seasoning
1 chopped bunch of spinach
2 bricks cream cheese
1 can of drained pickled jalapenos
1 can of drained diced tomatoes
freshly ground sea salt, seasoning salt & pepper to taste 


Heat up your pan with olive oil. Once that starts getting a bit hot, throw in your garlic. Brown it. Add your ground beef. Start breaking it up. Mix in your taco seasoning. Let cook until three quarters done (about 8 minutes on high heat). Add in your two bricks of cream cheese. They will soften in the pan. Mix together with beef, until a soft con queso like consistency. Add in chopped spinach, drained tomatoes & drained jalapenos. Mix together thoroughly in pan. Add sea salt, seasoning salt & pepper to taste. Transfer to bowl & cover. 


Fire up your grill & get your chicken on there. I typically bbq my chicken about 8-10 minutes per side on a medium/high heat. I started off by just putting my chicken on there for about 8-10 minutes. 
I flipped my chicken & put the steak on the other side of the bbq. Like I said, I've never cooked flank steak before, but it looked so damn good in the butcher window and was $15 for a huge piece just under a pound. At about the 4 minute mark I flipped the steak. I let the steak's other side cook for another 4 minutes & the other side of my chicken cook for another 8-10. This cooked my chicken all the way through and my steak at about a medium rare. I took them off on separate plates & wrapped them both with tin foil & let them both rest for about 5 minutes. 

I then started to set my table & put out all my dips & coleslaw, chips & wraps. 

I started with the steak. I transferred it onto my glass cutting bored and started to thinly slice it. I'm really not that good at carving meat, so I just attempted to break it up with my knife as best I could. 
I transfered it back onto the plate and set it on the table, rinsed my cutting board and did the same thing to the chicken. 

I served some shredded cheese, salsa and sour cream on the side as well. 
** You can add any taco/ fajita toppings you like. The options are endless really, from fresh veggies to different dips and sauces. 







I poured myself a glass of wine, fixed my plate & sat back while I watched the food junky beasts devour everything at the table. I had a scoop of cole slaw, 1 chicken wrap, 1 steak wrap & a couple of dips & I was stuffed. I assumed everything was good considering there wasn't a trace left. This meal was light & packed with meat and veggies.

Hope you enjoy & if you have any questions feel free to contact me here.

Until next time,

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment