16.5.13

Oh my, kitchen supplies

When it comes to cooking I am a firm believer in having the necessary tools. You wouldn't chop wood without an axe, so do not (I repeat DO NOT) think it's okay to make food properly without the necessary tools. They do not have to be expensive and you do not have to get them all at once. I acquired all of my kitchen supplies over the course of 4 years while being away at school. Granted, I would ask my mum to buy me the more expensive kitchen supplies for Christmas' & my birthday every year (pots, pans, etc.)

Here is a list of some of the things I use in the kitchen all the time.

Pots - having a good pot set will make your life easier in the kitchen. I use at least 1 pot everyday. I have 1 big soup pot I use to make soups & sauces, another medium sized pot for boiling noodles and veggies & a smaller pot for heating up smaller items. If you're just starting out GO BIG. What I mean by this is to buy a big pot first. Seriously though, the bigger the better.

Pans - a good pan set is just as necessary as a good pot set. Frying meats, veggies, sautéing. All of these things can be done with 1 pan. I use a medium size pan for just about everything, as well as a giant wok when it comes to stir frying veggies. Non stick pan's are easiest to work with because they make clean up a breeze.

My mum bought me a pot & pan set when I went away to school. I have been using this same set since, and will sometimes acquire a few new pieces for it. She picked it up at our local Canadian Tire for a reasonable price over 4 years ago & I still use the same set. Follow the link to acquire about different pot & pan sets. You do not have to spend a fortune to have a good set. There are great deals all the time at many different retailers. Just start looking and compare prices.

Cutting Boards - I am chop happy, so our counters are covered in cutting boards. I think it is necessary to invest in a good wooden board for chopping fruits and veggies. We use a medium sized bamboo board I picked up from the Winners clearance section for under $15. I use this bamboo board every single day. Seriously every day. We also use a large glass cutting board for cutting meats. I purchased our glass cutting board set of 2 from Canadian Tire. It came with a large & small. You could also use a plastic cutting board for cutting meats (this will help to leave your knife set sharp).

Knife Set - yes, knives can be extremely expensive. I bought a knife block from Costco a few years back for $50. I wish I spent more than $50 on a better set because I am constantly sharpening my knives. Though they are expensive you will use them everyday & lots of good brands come with lifetime warranties. One day I hope to invest in a set of Cutco's or Henckles, but in the meantime, when it comes to cutting up my food I turn to three knives; a chef's knife, a paring knife & a serrated carving knife.

Mixing Bowls - You can find a cheap set of metal, plastic or glass mixing bowls. You can never have enough bowls. We use ours for salads, marinades, serving dishes; the list really goes on. We have a set of pyrex glass bowls that came with plastic lids. We literally use these bowls every day for cooking, serving and preserving our food.

Grater - A hand grater is the best kitchen tool to have in a kitchen (next to your knife set of course). I bought my hand grater for $8 from Loblaws and I use it all the time, from zesting limes & lemons, to grating garlic or parmesan.

Tongs - A pair of metal tongs is essential in the kitchen. They give you better control when it comes to grilling meats and veggies and serve a great purpose for picking up any hot food item.

Peeler - A metal peeler is a great tool to have in the kitchen for peeling really any vegetable. We use ours all the time for potatoes, carrots, and zucchini; really any vegetable you want peeled or shaved.

Pestle & Mortar - This is a great tool for blending fresh or dried herbs & spices. Just throw in whatever spices or herbs you love & start mashing it up. The aromas come out a lot more, especially for dried herbs & spices that have been sitting in a jar for a while.

Thanks for stoppin' by,

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment